History of Camp Gruber
“We are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of Nature has placed in our power. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone – it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave.” – Patrick Henry
Beginning in early 1942, Camp Gruber was established as a military mobilization training post in the Cookson Hills area of Muskogee and Cherokee counties in eastern Oklahoma. For the duration of World War II, Camp Gruber provided training to the infantry, artillery and tank destroyer units that went on to fight so heroically in Europe. Until 1946, Gruber was also home to a POW camp housing three thousand German prisoners and employing four thousand civilian workers.